What is now Bolingbrook Clow International Airport was built originally in the late 1950’s by Oliver Boyd Clow so he could fly his treasured 1948 Model A Navion airplane. This little grassy airstrip with humble beginnings was replaced in the 1970’s with a 50- by 3400-foot lighted asphalt runway, and in 1973, became a commercial airport with the name Clow International Airport.
Best Airport of the Year
In 1989, Clow was named the best privately owned, public-use airport in Illinois, and in 2000 was voted Best Airport of the Year by the Illinois Division of Aeronautics. But in 1998, the little airport was sold to developer Joe DePaulo and slated to close. In 2004, the airport was acquired by the Village of Bolingbrook, completely redeveloped, and renamed Bolingbrook’s Clow International Airport. In 2015, a Federal grant was issued to build a new 75′ wide runway, which is now completed
In the year 2004, Clow also became home to the Illinois Aviation Museum. This 501(c)3 Non Profit Corporation is manned wholly by volunteers and is currently operating in its temporary home, Hangar One, provided by the Village of Bolingbrook. There, airplane restorations share the facility with its collection of aircraft and aviation-related artifacts, seminars, workshops, special events, and a ground school.
The Museum is open for tours on Saturdays from 10 am to 2 pm and by appointment, and is also available for rent to outside individuals or groups for parties, banquets, or other activities. Day to day operating funds and necessary services come from individual donors, local businesses, and organized fundraising events and programs.